Created a repository under Github from one that already allowed the automatic muting of Spotify when the music application is playing annoying ads. Sometimes I switch to Windows so I thought that it would be great to have the application, which is a bash shell script, to work under Windows. I had to rewrite from the grounds up, and in order to made it work under Windows, I need the Cygwin porting framework, since it still is a bash shell script. For this to work is need a installation of Cygwin along with the sed, cut , grep and screen tools, besides the nircmd shell tool from NirSoft.
In your last update (Chrome 70), you broke the password-protected feature for Chrome Profiles, fortunately I found a extension that replaces that …. LockPWFree ! It has the defect, although, of opening a new Chrome instance if you choose to start the browser with the tabs when you last left… but anyways, is better than nothing !
It apperars the Google guys don’t like us to use some APIs directly in their Google Apps Scripts platform. I don’t see the Books API in the list of libraries available from the top menu and also when I try to access it directly using the UrlFetchApp predefined object it salutes me with a “403 Forbidden” or “404 Not found”. What’s the problem Google guys ? Since this particular API it’s free and does not requires authentication are you afraid of someone can abuse it !? I just wanna use it for the purpose of getting the ISBN of some books automatically, but you Google guys are afraid I’m going to abuse it like some people on the past used the Translation API !?
While I was doing the migration from Ubuntu 14 to Ubuntu 16, I came across the high resource demands required by the new version of MySQL. I’m running on a very basic VPS with to few RAM, and so MySQL (was running 5.7) crashed much frequently, so I decided to switch a MySQL fork, mariaDB, in this case. Tried first with the last stable version, 10.3, than I discovered that this version was still with more problems and running with even more problems with the very low RAM, so I downgraded to 10.1, but still the problems persisted. I ran the mysqltuner script to adjust the mariaDB configuration according to this “hardware” requirements. I changed the
max_connections variable and lowered the value to 2 or 3. Still discovered that the entire VPS has crashed just because of this. Then I increased the value to 10 and Postfix started to complain with authentication errors since the e-mail credentials are stored in a MySQL schema. On that MySQL there are running other schemas, one for a wordpress site with very low bandwidth, and other wordpress site for a business, with much more load than the last wordpress. You know, wordpress does not support officialy other SQL engines than MySQL, which is bad, very bad, but I discovered a plugin that allows you to use SQLite as a WordPress backend. Very good for the wordpress instance with much less load (Truly speaking, it right this one that is storing this blog). So I decided, if now I can use SQLite as the backend for an WordPress site, why not use it also to store email service credentials. Very unfrequentely I change those credentials, so I move on studying how Postfix and Courier could use a simple SQLite database to store the email credentials and other stuff Postfix implements like transports, or e-mail forwardings.
I needed to migrate the following software bellow from Ubuntu 14 to 16:
Continuing from my last post , the process of putting the docker base directory in a remote mount point was completed with a relative success, because I’m still struggling with the fact that the permissions that NFS attribute to the users on the machine the share is mounted. Every new file or modified one is assigned, on the perspective of the docker container, to the user “
nobody“, which presents a problem for some services/daemons like
sshd, which start to complain if their configuration are world-readable and belonging to another that is not root. Now, the big docker image which is a mirror of my VPS storage is now residing on a share on my NAS.
Some weeks ago, I started getting notices that the root dir where my Linux is mounted was getting low space. I dismissed the warnings and thought there should be something out of the way. Still true that my Linux root partition is just 85 gigs, because I repartitioned the disk on a laptop that goot only Windows installed in it, and Ubuntu does not need that much space in order to install the core of its OS, keeping my /home on a separate partition in case had to reinstall Linux and all my personal stuff in a NTFS partition shared between Windows and Linux. I emptied all the trash folders, clean the /tmp dir completely and still was getting the warnings.